This morning, while I was getting ready for the day, my daughter came into my room and said, "Mommy! Skye!" This is code for, "Mommy, I want to watch Paw Patrol!". So, I tossed her up on my bed and turned on "Zoboomafoo" instead, because she's already seen the pups rescue Timmy's tooth four times this week. There was a time when I swore this would never happen. I would not let the TV babysit my kid. But I don't really worry about it anymore. Here's why:
1. I monitor what she watches. We don't have cable so I have to pull up her shows on the Roku. She may have the TV remote, but only Mommy & Daddy get the remote to the Roku. That means she's only watching shows that we've approved. And we're in-and-out of the room so we have a pretty good idea of what each episode is about.
2. We talk about it. Her days are pretty routine, so her show gives us something new to talk about. This morning we talked about how she thought Zoboo was funny. Then we talked about each of the animals that she saw on the show. I don't expect the TV to educator her, but it does spark her interest in new things. That opens the door for me to teach her new things.
3. I participate too. Like I said, my husband and I are in-and-out of the room. So when Blue asks us to sing a lullaby with her, I do. And when she asks what color grapes are, I wait to see if my daughter knows, then I yell out the answer too. That way, when she gets excited because she knows the shape is a triangle, I can celebrate with her!
4. She's an active kid. Some days she could lay in bed and watch TV forever, but most days she watches an episode of her show and then goes off in search of something to do. If her little body needs a break, I don't mind her watching TV while she rests.
5. Sometimes a mommy just needs to cuddle. I think I've seen Fireman Sam rescue Norman from about a hundred different fires, because that's what it takes for my daughter to sit still and cuddle for a little bit. My daughter has never been one to curl up in my lap without a reason, so I'll take what I can get.